Transitland brings together many sources of transit data to build a directory of operators and feeds that can be edited by transit enthusiasts and developers.
Here is a diagram of the overall Transitland v1 and v2 technical architecture:
Comparing the APIs
Transitland v1 and v2 provide a range of APIs. All are powered by the same underlying database cluster. Each has a different set of capabilities and constraints:
|API||Status||Root Endpoint||API Key Required||Cost||Uses|
|Transitland v2 Map Vector Tiles||beta||free (with rate limits)||Powers the map. Build your own web maps of stop locations and route geometries. In Mapbox Vector Tile (MVT) format.|
|Transitland v2 REST API||not yet released||to be announced||free (with rate limits)||Fast and easy queries for accessing common data.|
|Transitland v2 GraphQL API||not yet released||to be announced||paid||The most flexible API for performing a wide variety of queries and analyses. May be slower than v2 REST API for certain queries.|
|Transitland v1 Datastore API||deprecated||starting June 9, 2021||free (with rate limits)||Original API for exploring data and powering apps. Has some performance limitations.|
Signing up for an API Token
Transitland v2 APIs all require an API token to access. Starting June 9, 2021, the Transitland v1 Datastore API will also require an API token. To get an API token, follow these steps:
- Open to the sign-up page
- If you already have an Interline account (you will have one if you use OSM Extracts) press "sign in" in the upper right corner.
- Pick a subscription plan:
- "Transitland API - Free Tier" allows access to all currently released v1 and v2 APIs
- "Transitland API - Pro Tier" will allow higher rate limits and also access the the v2 GraphQL API (not yet released)
- Place "order" and watch your email inbox (or your spam folder) for an API key
- You may retrieve your API token at any time by signing into your Interline account
- Use your API token by adding it to any Transitland API request using a query parameter or header using one of the following keys:
apikey[our recommended default]
How to Participate
Transitland welcome many types of participation:
- Please help us to expand the coverage of existing public feeds in the Transitland Atlas.
- Use Transitland APIs to power your own maps, apps, trip planning tools, analyses, and other projects. Share your creations with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or @transitland
- Share Transitland with your favorite transit agency — whether it's one you ride, you work for, or one you just really like.