Transitland brings together many sources of transit data to build a directory of operators and feeds that can be edited by transit enthusiasts and developers.
Here is a diagram of the overall Transitland v1 and v2 technical architecture:
Comparing the APIs
Transitland v1 and v2 provide a range of APIs. All are powered by the same underlying database cluster. Each has a different set of capabilities and constraints:
|API||Status||Root Endpoint||API Key Required||Cost||Uses|
|Transitland v2 Map Vector Tiles||beta||free (with rate limits)||Powers the map. Build your own web maps of stop locations and route geometries. In Mapbox Vector Tile (MVT) format.|
|Transitland v2 REST API||not yet released||to be announced||free (with rate limits)||Fast and easy queries for accessing common data.|
|Transitland v2 GraphQL API||not yet released||to be announced||paid||The most flexible API for performing a wide variety of queries and analyses. May be slower than v2 REST API for certain queries.|
|Transitland v1 Datastore API||deprecated||free (with rate limits)||Original API for exploring data and powering apps. Has some performance limitations.|
Signing up for an API Token
Transitland APIs all require an API token to access. To get an API token, follow these steps:
- Open to the sign-up page
- If you already have an Interline account (you will have one if you use OSM Extracts) press "sign in" in the upper right corner.
- Pick a subscription plan:
- "Transitland API - Free Tier" allows access to all currently released v1 and v2 APIs
- "Transitland API - Pro Tier" will allow higher rate limits and also access the the v2 GraphQL API (not yet released)
- Place "order" and watch your email inbox (or your spam folder) for an API key
- You may retrieve your API token at any time by signing into your Interline account
- Use your API token by adding it to any Transitland API request using a query parameter or header using one of the following keys:
apikey[our recommended default]
How to Participate
Transitland welcome many types of participation:
- Please help us to expand the coverage of existing public feeds in the Transitland Atlas.
- Use Transitland APIs to power your own maps, apps, trip planning tools, analyses, and other projects. Share your creations with us at firstname.lastname@example.org or @transitland
- Share Transitland with your favorite transit agency — whether it's one you ride, you work for, or one you just really like.